Thursday, February 3, 2011

Call to all women...

To all the members of the female "weaker" gender... listen up! The Bible refers to us as the weaker vessels...the faithful and discreet slave reminds often brothers to remember that we have different kind of emotional needs...
It's true, WE ARE THE WEAKER VESSEL!!!
BUT...
This is what every woman in Africa has to go through when she is in the field and nature is calling
OK, I'll admit this is the worse I've ever seen, but still...I had to go... TWICE!!! In case you're wondering, the "toilet" is actually the gap between the boards and the leaves is the toilet paper. 
Now...
We all very well know how men go for first call (nature call not first call in the field), so although challenging, they don't have it as bad as us women...WE HAVE TO SQUAT/CROUCH to go for first call. 
Our...everything...goes closer to the "toilet", including our nose and mouth...which by the way you have to keep open to be able to breath or a foul/revolting/disgusting/awful/horrid/outrageous/vile etc etc etc smell will permeate your nose and force you to gag and, if you're not strong (and quick) enough, puke!

Now I know many men who rather than using this "toilet" would turn to mother nature (the next bush available)...but for us we can't turn to mother nature because in Africa, everywhere you go, there is a small house or hut and people working in the nearby field. 
So we HAVE to use these "toilets" (that sometimes even local sister won't use being so horrible).

NOW, ARE WE STILL DEBATING ON WHO IS THE "WEAKER" VESSEL HERE? GIVE ME A BREAK!

Members of the female gender..........VOTE, COMMENT AND SHARE WITH THE WORLD WHAT YOU THINK ABOUT BEING THE "WEAKER" VESSEL... 


By the way, the board on the far right was not secured into the soil...I nearly went into the "ditch/toilet" with my whole leg...

14 comments:

  1. That's right, show them who is the toughest! It takes special strength to handle things like this!
    Or, so I'm told. *shrug* Imagining it is a horrible thought, so living it must be torture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WE were just talking about this in service in the countryside this past week. On some of the islands they will take one of their two skirts that they are wearing and cover their head so you cannot recognize the face. We decided that for those of us who are obviously not local that might not help matters as they may quickly begin to recognize our behinds especially those of us who go more frequent. Great telling of your story I could totally relate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my! 'Bushing it' is sounding pretty good! So here's the closest I've come to this: Picture being on a Kingdom Hall build, in the summer, in Phoenix Arizona. The bathrooms were little plastic porto-potties. So, if it was 115 degrees outside, it was about 140 degrees in the porto-potty. As there were more brothers on the builds, they usually had 10 potties to use, us sisters had 2. And they only were emptied every few weeks. So between the 'organic' material and mysterious blue chemical marinating in that heat, they became pretty ripe and noxious. Us sisters always went with a 'bathroom' buddy who could simultaneously crack the door (for fresh air) and block the opening (for privacy). But hey, we had a plastic toilet seat and real toilet paper... so I stand humbled!!

    You need something we used to take camping. It was called 'Luggable Loo'. Basically a five gallon bucket, garbage bag inside, and a toilet seat that snapped on like a lid. We always made the guys bury the bag. I volunteer Trevor!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually Jenny, that's not a bad idea. What do you think Trevor? Available to bury the bags?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cole's....I'm glad I found someone who could understand what I mean. When I relate this to my former congregation in Italy, they think I'm exaggerating so they don't take me seriously. Thank you for your comment!

    ReplyDelete
  6. *sobs* If it helps me do my part, then sure thing...*gag*

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Trevor... I knew we (women) can always count on you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have a rather funny plastic port-a-let story. At one Kingdom Hall build a very sweet, proper sister who had never been in a port-a-let and likely had never been on a construction project. She went in to use the port-a-let and upon leaving it she came to tell a group about how nice these plastic toilet rooms were. As she was excitedly talking about she commented on the handy purse holders that enabled her to keep her purse off the floor. She was rather horrified when it was explained that design was a urinal feature for the men.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cole family: That is too funny! Poor dear. I bet she burned that purse. :-)

    Trevor: Aw, you're a good guy. Maybe a little more than marginally awesome. Now I feel bad for ganging up on you (sort of).

    Taby: They still make them! I'm having trouble trying to put links up here, but here you go:
    http://www.amazon.com/Reliance-Products-Luggable-Portable-Gallon/dp/B000FIAPXO

    Here's one that is even more portable:
    http://www.amazon.com/Reliance-Products-Collapsible-Portable-Toilet/dp/B0024OAQ3Q/ref=pd_sbs_sg_2

    And here's Trevor's bags:
    http://www.amazon.com/EcoSafe-GKL032195-1-2-Gallon-Compostable-25-Count/dp/B001F9QW16/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1296836063&sr=8-5

    Now... just to get them to Africa. Is it possible to ship stuff to you?? (I'm totally serious here)

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG Jenny... I can just imagine going into the field with those...and when you need to go "Trevor...could you come here please...?"
    Hahahahaha.... hilarious! Now, being serious, don't worry. You'll probably spend a more to ship them then to buy them and then I'll probably have to pay taxes on top of the price. So... I'll stick with the infamous toilet. But I appreciate the offer...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cole's...I just can't imagine the sister's face when you told her. Poor woman... anyway, Jenny had a good idea. I'm going to look into it when I go home next time. Maybe you should do the same...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, okay. I'll trust you on this one. Though I was looking forward to sending you something :-( What is that expression? "Nothing says friendship like the gift of a toilet!" Actually, I'm pretty sure there has NEVER been an expression like that. Haha! Hang in there! I'll remember your example the next time I am tempted to complain... about anything. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anytime I can help, I'm more than pleased to do so! Just ensure there is a shower waiting for me, and I shan't complain a peep! *peep*
    Strange how toilet chat is so popular...I bet it would give a conversation about food a run for its money, but then again they are kind of related, you know? *shrug*

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just found your blog and read this post. Wow! I've used those "bathrooms" in Dominican Republic and in the country sides of Panama which were a similar idea and I was horrified every time. But none were as bad as this one, not even close! May Jehovah bless you both in your work as needgreaters in Uganda, and ever more for using that bathroom. My husband and I are hoping to also "step over into Macedonia" soon. Can't wait to read more. Please check out my blog www.be-a-needgreater.com

    ReplyDelete